Tips for keeping your spa or pool healthy
All swimming pools and spas need regular maintenance.
- Keep the water clean and clear.
- Leaves and similar material should be removed daily.
- Vacuum regularly to remove dirt, sand and debris.
- Clean the skimmer and pump baskets regularly.
- Ensure the water is properly treated, and contains the correct levels of chemicals.
- Always follow the instructions on pool chlorine containers in relation to safe handling and disposal of the product.
- Only a spa or swimming pool fitted with a filter and automatic chlorinator (including salt) is safe to use.
- Keep the pool and spa surfaces in good condition. Repair any cracks in the shell and tiled surrounds.
- Ensure the surrounds drain away from a pool or spa and do not collect puddles. Clean surrounds regularly.
- Keep pipes, filters and motors in good working order.
- Clean filters when required.
- Service all pool equipment according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Ensure all electrical equipment is maintained in good condition. All repairs should be performed by a licensed electrician.
- An automatic pool cleaner will help keep the pool clean and free of debris.
- All top-up water should be added via the skimmer box with the filtration system running.
- Hire a trained swimming pool and spa technician each month to keep your pool and spa safe to use.
Where to get help
Advice on water treatment is available from:
- your local trained pool and spa technician
- Environmental Health Services at your local government (external site)
- pool chemical suppliers.
Contact us for more information.